Meramec Hockey Club uses USA Hockey’s Hockey Initiation Program (H.I.P.) as our Learn to Play Hockey program for our youngest skaters. This program is designed to introduce boys and girls that are 4-10 (older ages will be taken on a case by case basis after approval from the Learn To Play Manager) years old to the sport of ice hockey. Our club provides a fun and age-appropriate ice hockey program at a reasonable cost. Development focuses on learning to skate and basic hockey skills at an appropriate pace. No previous skating or hockey experience necessary!
We use a station format and work on all skating and stick handling skills necessary to advance to gameplay. In addition, we occasionally use small cross-ice games during the session to keep the young skaters interested.
- Cost is $220
- Approximately 175 skaters divided into four sessions based on skill level
- Concentration on basic hockey skills by several certified coaches
- The last session will be a hockey game to show off their skills, followed by presentation of a completion certificate
Location and Dates:
- 18 x 45-minute sessions will be held on Saturday morning’s starting on Saturday, November 6th
- Sessions held at the FSI Shark Tank located at 6297 Lemay Ferry Road
- Session times are 9:15, 10:05, 10:55and 11:45 (All A.M. times)
- The coaches will evaluate the players’ skill level and determine the appropriate session time for each player. For the first couple of weeks, players will attend sessions based on their last name, which will be announced closer to the start date of the program
- Rental equipment is available for a $150 refundable rental deposit which is refunded at the conclusion of the HIP program provided that the equipment is returned in good condition and is returned on the specified equipment return date
- Rental equipment is not included with the cost of the program and will be supplied on a first-come, first-serve basis, and while our supplies last. Equipment rentals dates will be coordinated and released but the LTP Manager or Equipment Manager before the start of each program (Fall, Spring, Summer).
- Checks only, no cash or credit card accepted
- You will not be able to leave with our equipment without a deposit check.
- Rental equipment includes helmet, gloves, all pads (chest/shoulder, elbow / shin guards), and hockey pants
- Each player is also required to have hockey skates, a stick, neck guard, mouth guard, hockey socks and jocks shorts or a protective cup (males) or pelvic protector (females) (HIP rental equipment & fitting information flyer available on the website)
- Included with your HIP fee is a Sharks jersey for each player to keep
- Registration for this program will go live on September 1st, 2021.
- Registration closes on October 8th 2021 or once the program is full.
- Our LTP program is open to all kids that fit the criteria above in our area. Please pay close attention to the information on exclusive, shared, and open zip codes at the beginning of registration.
- Learn To Play is for children that want to enter and learn the sport of hockey. If the child you register is already rostered on and playing on an MHC team, your registration will be canceled. LTP is not structured to support extra ice time for children already playing. Again, please do not register for LTP if your child is already playing on a team.
- For questions about the HIP/LTP Program, contact the LTP Manager, Matt Rogers, LTPmanager@meramecsharks.com.